Swapping the pasta lasagna sheets and using sliced courgette.
1 Aubergine (eggplant/brinjal), diced
1 large courgette, sliced lengthways
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 red onions, sliced
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Fresh marjoram, oregano or basil (your choice!)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
100g greek feta cheese
20g Grated Parmesan
- Gently fry the red onions and garlic until soft
- Add the chopped aubergine (eggplant/brinjal) and continue to fry gently for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes ( I rinsed out the tin with a little water and added that too)
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for another 10 minutes with the lid off so it can reduce.
- Finally add the balsamic vinegar if using and your favourite herb.
- Turn the oven on to around 190 degrees celsius.
- I used an oven-proof, square lasagna dish putting a layer of sliced courgettes at the bottom.
- Cover this with the aubergine filling, crumble on half of the feta and repeat finishing with a layer of aubergine.
- Sprinkle with a layer of parmesan and bake in the over for about 45 minutes.
I served this with a green salad. Whilst the feta makes this dish amazing you can leave it out (and the parmesan) if you want a dairy free version. You can also use mozzarella as an alternative.
Serves 6 as a main meal.
Calories per portion: 121 (Calculated using Myfitnesspal)